Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Storytellers with Terry Rossio & Ted Elliot


So last week I attended a Storytellers Q &A with Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio. If you don't know who they are, they're only the ones who wrote you all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Shrek, National Treasure and countless other blockbusters. Even Little Monsters. Remember that flick?

If you're not a screenwriter and you're not familiar with the names it's ok.

If you are a screenwriter and you're still not familiar with these names. Shame on you.

Anyways, so I usually don't like to attend these sort of things, mainly because I don't have the money to spend on such seminars and my time permits me to not attend such things. But it was at the Writer's Guild Theater in Bevery Hills and not to mention I idolize these writers, so I thought I would go out of my way, put the money down for some tickets and see what they had to say. I mean, they only have over a billion dollars in tickets sales to their credit. What could they possible have to say right?

Overall, I thought the Q&A was really good. Although they didn't really dive into all the things a screenwriter should do or give that many helpful tips since it was the premiere night for the 3rd Pirates installment, I did walk away with one useful screenwriting tip that has stood out in my head.

"Make all your characters relevant." Make sure that when you create a character in your story, be sure that if you remove that character, it will have a dramatic impact on your story.

Now, those weren't Rossio's exact words, but it gave you the general case in point. Make sure your characters matter. Don't create characters that aren't going to mean anything.

I know that this may sound pretty self explanatory, but you'd be surprised how, if you write a story, sometimes you'll forget to give your characters meaning. Give them depth. Sometimes you'll just put someone in there that won't really serve a purpose. Maybe I'm the only one who does this. I know that that I don't spend nearly enough time with developing my characters. I'm all about creating the action, the suspense and sending things exploding into oblivion. I'd like to even go as as far as saying that I create great set pieces.

But who am I right? Have I ever sold anything? No. Will I? You bet.

Case in point, it was a good experience. I like being so close to Hollywood, that I am able to attend some functions. At least have the opportunity to. Here guys talking and give tips to an audience they were once a part of before they hit it big. It was a fun experience and I'm sure I'll be attending more seminars like this one.

Anyways, just thought I'd share that little tidbit with you out there.

-NA
Photo courtesy of rottentomatoes.com.

No comments: